.

.

Discuss the news that appears on the front page of this website.

NOTE: New threads may only be created by the admin in this forum.

Moderators: sg, mods

User avatar
By sg
#258
Cool Video - Dune Gooning
.
[youtube]
[/youtube]
Last edited by sg on Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
By dievhart
#261
Nice Video
After watching this you can really tell how much (skill is involved) nicer it is to have a cacoon instead of a pod to control from the base tube when low to the ground ...in a pod it's a lot harder to get as low and still be flying (feet drag), and it's harder to control, seems weird (because it is)...less arm strength...
I have done it in my pod a little but still don't zip up and I know thats a DRAG so I think about it the whole flight :-(( guess I could just zip up and plan on maybe landing on my tummy/chute :-())...
But the other issue one could have is stepping on the cacoon as they land...just have to let it rise up, or keep them feet apart...
User avatar
By sg
#263
Ive done most of my dune flying in a pod. I actually like it, because if you keep it unzipped, you can get your feet under you faster than with a cacoon harness.
I kept it partially zipped so it would support my knees a bit, but unzipped enough that I could spread my knees really quick to let my legs pop out.

The knee-hangar is probably the ultimate for the super low dune hovering, like the instructor used in the video.
User avatar
By GC3
#281369
Very, very cool. Can't wait to try that someday!
By Bondy
#281442
Shaun was my instructor , one of those larger than life people that the sport revolves around. Not much he can't do on a HG.
By omar_aw
#335370
Good video. It's harder than it looks
User avatar
By Stoubie
#335384
So I just moved to Corpus Christi Texas and there is a set of dunes here along the beach that I have been looking at. The wind here can really get going upwards of 20 mph. Most of the dunes are only about 8-12 feet high.

I would normally seek out more experienced pilots to show me the ropes on something new like this, but since there are not any pilots around here I am throwing this up to the .org for some guidance.

What kinds of shape should I be looking at in the dunes?

I have placed streamers on the backside of the dunes to check for rotor, but the wind seems to be very uniform really far back. Does this mean I'd have to worry about rotor possibly being up higher say 30 feet up or more?

What is the safest way to approach a launch? I am seeing in the video they have the wing balanced and are then pushing out to get airborne for the launch. This seems counter to every mountain launch I have done, but I can see the thought process behind it.

My main harness is a cocoon so I think I will just take the chute out and put the bottom part of the harness up to let my legs dangle.

What wind range would you recommend trying to learn this in?
User avatar
By peanuts
#335390
Stoubie wrote:So I just moved to Corpus Christi Texas and there is a set of dunes here along the beach that I have been looking at. The wind here can really get going upwards of 20 mph. Most of the dunes are only about 8-12 feet high.

I would normally seek out more experienced pilots to show me the ropes on something new like this, but since there are not any pilots around here I am throwing this up to the .org for some guidance.

What kinds of shape should I be looking at in the dunes?

I have placed streamers on the backside of the dunes to check for rotor, but the wind seems to be very uniform really far back. Does this mean I'd have to worry about rotor possibly being up higher say 30 feet up or more?

What is the safest way to approach a launch? I am seeing in the video they have the wing balanced and are then pushing out to get airborne for the launch. This seems counter to every mountain launch I have done, but I can see the thought process behind it.

My main harness is a cocoon so I think I will just take the chute out and put the bottom part of the harness up to let my legs dangle.

What wind range would you recommend trying to learn this in?

get yerself one of them there R/C glider thingies. then you gotta consider your wing and your skillz. 20 seems a mite strong for first attempts, and gusty is a no no for noobs. make sure you gots some beech to land on comfortably
By Roadrunner
#335391
Man, that looks fun, count me in.

The Big Guy
User avatar
By red
#335400
Stoubie wrote:What kinds of shape should I be looking at in the dunes?
I have placed streamers on the backside of the dunes to check for rotor, but the wind seems to be very uniform really far back. Does this mean I'd have to worry about rotor possibly being up higher say 30 feet up or more?
What wind range would you recommend trying to learn this in?
Stoubie,

You want the dunes rounded out, at the bottom. If the slope meets the flats in a sharp line (like at the bottom of a cliff), it can make a dead spot, or serious turbulence near the bottom.

You need a wind meter, not streamers, for this check behind the crest. Even IF there is no rotor (not likely), there will probably be a significant wind gradient, anywhere behind the crest of the dune. NEVER land behind the crest of a dune (or any hill) unless you know about the air there. For you, for now, solo, that means just plain never. Solo pioneering on an unknown site is about as dangerous as this sport gets. Have some friends with you, even if they are not pilots; that won't make the air any safer, though.

Fly with an airspeed meter, to get your correct cruising speeds. For your glider, any winds less than your usual flying speed will require that you crab across the dunes, to stay up. Any winds greater than your usual flying speed will be a challenge, to stay in front of the dunes. Watch the dune gooning videos. You want the winds low enough to need some crabbing, but not low enough that you are racing across the dune tops. Winds above your flying speed will keep you parked. With no crabbing speed, you will be at risk of an instant landing, with any drop in the wind (NOT recommended).

If you have a site where the weather forecasters have good records, see if the winds there are strong and consistent in the past. Chances are, one season of the year will be okay or even good, and others, maybe not. While it may be possible to soar on the winds generated by a storm there, that trick can be very dangerous. Storm winds can have big holes in them.

All that to say this: Solo dune gooning is risky, at best. Without an experienced dune gooner with you, the risks are huge. Aside from all that, you will have sand in every part of your glider, which is bad for the sail, and bad for the tubing. Salt air causes rapid corrosion, too. Many gliders used for dune gooning are old beaters, which the owners do not mind trashing.

:mrgreen:
User avatar
By waveview
#353367
Topless Litespeeds dune gooning up the coast for 10 miles near Perth - Western Australia. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

http://vimeo.com/98304852
User avatar
By ChattaroyMan
#353370
waveview wrote:Topless Litespeeds dune gooning up the coast for 10 miles near Perth - Western Australia.
Dang, that was nice! Looked like more than 10 miles. Lots of low saves! :mosh:
User avatar
By Flyingseb
#353418
Thanks for the nice video. Good way to spend time before going to the restaurant :wink:
By madmax
#357215
My favorite kind of flying. Pure joy!
User avatar
By AndRand
#357224
DSs dune gooning... :surrender:

[youtube]
[/youtube]
By RBT
#365720
Help anyone on the best SS duner? Haven't trained yet, but it looks like the novice wing I buy now will be just as much fun later? especially as I like the beach -Rainbow, Teewah not far. It deserves a thought then. Malibu 188 2 or Fun 190 2? I have seen Malibu's on u tube that look like they are flying backwards. Weigh 83kg, hook in under 90kg. Best stall characteristics an important factor? Is this why the SS reign supreme? Any preferences/tips dune lovers who have flown them both.
User avatar
By dievhart
#365724
Yup....you will want to keep that first wing (as hard as it might be when buying your next (don't sell it))....I have flown the Malibu 188 (foot launched Aero tow even)...but no gooning. ...loved it...to be able to setup and break down quick and easy (most SS gliders)...and the bigger sizes means you can float on less air (so you don't need a HARD wind...just a breeze)...I have 5 gliders and fly my falcon (SS) quite often.....and the sand doesn't get stuck in your sail (on a SS glider)....
Diev
User avatar
By AndRand
#365725
dievhart wrote:Yup....you will want to keep that first wing (as hard as it might be when buying your next (don't sell it))....I have flown the Malibu 188 (foot launched Aero tow even)...but no gooning. ...loved it...to be able to setup and break down quick and easy (most SS gliders)...and the bigger sizes means you can float on less air (so you don't need a HARD wind...just a breeze)...I have 5 gliders and fly my falcon (SS) quite often.....and the sand doesn't get stuck in your sail (on a SS glider)....
Diev
So what would you think if this one (FOX T topless) would be available for free soaring? (let's hope - 25kg weight, 12:1 L/D)

Image

I tried to run the Python script but it only gener[…]

Merely theorizing here, again... (beware of specul[…]

Saturday, October 13th at Villa. All seven HGs so[…]

Burning Desire to Fly on Friday

Wow, those guys get in close with their big birds.[…]