Discuss the news that appears on the front page of this website.

NOTE: New threads may only be created by the admin in this forum.

Moderators: sg, mods

By FormerFF
kamikaze wrote:
designbydave wrote:Just like to chime in to say that I'm not too comfortable with the "supporter logo" thing. Seems like it will create a few "classes" of users which might kinda shun users that may not be financially able to contribute any, or as much as, others.

:ditto:
I've been on other sites that provide a supporter logo, and it's never caused a problem. Personally, I don't have a preference either way.
By knumbknuts
kamikaze wrote:
designbydave wrote:Just like to chime in to say that I'm not too comfortable with the "supporter logo" thing. Seems like it will create a few "classes" of users which might kinda shun users that may not be financially able to contribute any, or as much as, others.

:ditto:
Hey, since kindergarten, gold stars have been the only things that truly motivate me.
By sg
Ive seen lots of sites with supporter logo's too. Never seen an issue. I think the people deserve credit and thanks from the site.

Also... may try googles pay service (paypal clone). Its the only other realistic choice according to experienced webmasters out there.

If that doesnt work.... check + address is my last option. But I lean heavily towards automated system to make the best use of my time.
By sg
Looks like "Google Checkout" also requires you to create a gmail account before you can make payments. Not sure this will be any better than paypal for people.
By kamikaze
sg wrote:Ive seen lots of sites with supporter logo's too. Never seen an issue. I think the people deserve credit and thanks from the site.
just trying to be diplomatic :surrender:
By JR
Can we donate a lump sum amount, rather than a monthly payment?
By sg
Yeah, will add the Donate button for that soon.
By Wingspan34
sg wrote:Looks like "Google Checkout" also requires you to create a gmail account before you can make payments. Not sure this will be any better than paypal for people.
SG,

When I saw the announcement, the first thing I did was grab my checkbook and an envelope. So, just writing up a check is my favored method. The way I handle my finances, I'd prefer to just make one yearly donation all at once so I'm not guessing about those little, automatic (hidden) charges that - when you forget to calculate them in - cause you to over draw your account. :ahh:

In my case, I had a negative experience with ebay and since paypal is an off shoot of ebay, I prefer to not do business with them (i.e. have them profit off my business).

As far as Google Checkout goes, I have a gmail account so, baring just sending in a simple, single check in an envelope, I suppose I (speaking for myself) could use that method. Is that option all set up, SG, or do you have to do something to get it going?

Payment options make things a bit trickier, but are always good to have. After all, if it's hard to donate, then you may hardly get any donations. :mrgreen:
By knumbknuts
I think you should name the 3 levels after the mafia levels:

- Capo
- "Friend of ours"
- "Friend of mine"
By FormerFF
knumbknuts wrote:I think you should name the 3 levels after the mafia levels:

- Capo
- "Friend of ours"
- "Friend of mine"
Actually, that goes well with all the discussions of whacks that we have here...
By rfh12345
The following is JUST MY OPINION because I don't understand the hang up with Paypal.

I was skeptical about them at first. I didn't like anyone having my financial info stored etc. But, it's really a great service. It protects you when you send funds and costs nothing in return. (I think it costs something for the person GETTING the money, not sure.) Millions use it and millions accept it as payment. Also, if you buy something online, particularly on Ebay, your order is shipped right away, instead of them waiting for your payment to arrive, and, if by check, waiting for it to clear. This could add 10 days to the shipping time.

It's has been great for me. I occasionally buy things from ebay. Twice I got slightly stiffed buying something online and both times Paypal returned my money, even though the people who had it did NOT want to give it back

In my first "get stiffed" incident I bought a pair of nice Sony speakers for my boat. The ad said the grilles were white. I was contacted after payment was sent and was told the white were sold out and only black were left. I was PISSED as I WANTED white. Why advertise for sale something you DON'T have? Bait and switch ? So, I told them to just refund my money. They had a problem with that and though I was TOTALLY UINREASONABLE for not taking something I didn't want. Why couldn't I just take black?!! I told them my BOAT WAS WHITE.

So, I went onto Ebay and left negative feedback and a warning for other buyers. This sent them through the roof. They now completely refused to refund my money unless I retracted my negative feedback (I don't think retracting negative feedback is even possible). Instantly I realized why they had a 100% positive feedback rating (which is why I decided to buy from them in the first place) They blackmailed unhappy customers into leaving positive feedback before giving any refunds. Although, if you give positive feedback, how can you complain and expect anyone to believe you???

Anyway, I told Paypal the situation. They said they'd look into it, and the very next morning I had the money refunded to my account

I don't remember the details of my other problem except that they got my money back within hours.

Paypal NEVER sends me any email, regular mail, or contacts me in any way. They don't share my info with anyone and have helped me out when it was necessary. They are the real deal and come as advertised IMO. I've heard of problems with them, but that was way back in their beginning. They are HUGE now & I haven't heard of anything negative about them in an awful long time

That being said, I can understand why some people would rather just cut a check and snail mail it. That's how I thought it was going to work. But, I do like the idea of my charge card getting hit up for a measly 6 bucks each month instead of the lump sum I was gonna send. It happens automatically and is so insignificant I won't even notice it next to everything else my wife charges & if times ever get SO tight I can't afford 6 whole bucks, I can change it to 4 or even 2, but I read this thing daily, even multiple times a day during the long off season, so it's worth it to me. I may even make a one time donation when it's available to give back something for the last couple years I've been frequenting this site.

Daily paper = .50 cents day/ $12 month
Typical magazine = $6 / Maybe 2-3 hours to read, prob less
The Org = $6 (max) / 20 cents a day / good deal
$4 = 13 cents a day
$2 = 6 cents a day
By mtpilot
I like the support logo idea it shows we value this site and nothing more.
By sg
Yes paypal charges me. Its 2.9% + 0.30 cents per transaction.

So the the breakdown is
$6 = $5.53 to me
$4 = $3.58 to me
$2 = $1.64 to me, they take 18% at this level since the fee is so small

But automating is very important to me, so its worth it.
I wish they had a quarterly pay option, but they dont.
By Lobido
What I don't get is why, because paypal has my card number, I cannot elect to just make the payment by the card, and to leave paypal out of it. Can there be a disconnect there so I can become a gold member, using my credit card? It is the only gold I can realistically afford these days.
By knumbknuts
payment processing is a bugger, paypal isn't cheap but it's fairly easy and universal.
By Wingspan34
Sg,

I would suspect that your new corporation has a postal box? If not, it'd be a good thing to get. Then members who just want to send you a check can mail it there.

Heck, before seeing your payment plans, I was going to send you 100 bucks - and I'm just about the polar opposite of JP Morgan.

If you've already got a post box, then PM me the address and you'll have a check (or money order?) as fast as snail mail allows.

PS - I just figured out how much I'm paying, per post, if send in $100. That would be about 2.6 cents per post. So I'd truly be giving my 2 cents worth! :lol: :thumbsup:
By sg
Ill check with the bank. I think they do provide a PO Box, not sure.

I think all services like paypal require you setup an account, because thats what allows you to log back in and cancel subscriptions, edit subscriptions, alert them to problems, etc. There has to be some sort of authentication/account for them to deal with you efficiently.
By CHassan
I just got a check from a Nigerian Prince. It is a cashiers check for just over 5 million. I need to cash it and return 3.5 million. If I send it to you will you cash it. You can keep .5 million and Western Union the remaining money to me. ( I think they only allow up to 5k per transaction so you'll have to make multiple transfers.)
I need to Western Union the Prince's portion back to him by the 15th of next month so he can expidite his family from harms way. His mother and father were just killed by the rebels and they are now looking for him and his family too!

:surrender:

I'll get a donation ready for real!
By BubbleBoy
I have to second the post in favor of Paypal.

I have been a member for years and they don't spam me, just make it very easy to send and get money and back me up of needed.

I pick up stuff rather regularly on Ebay and a couple times they have stepped in easily and been the hammer that made the difference.

I soooo happy that more and more 'non-ebay' business are accepting paypay online. I love'm.

Also I did subscribe, but I'm looking forward to that "donate" button as I would rather just fire off a lump once in a while rather than add to my "what are all those little charges every month" on my statement.

Perhaps once per quarter (or year) you can have a 'tin cup' logo up in the corner to remind us to help you out with your excellent and appreciated efforts. This is how Davis get's my money every year. He reminds me with a non-in-my-face attitude and I pop over to paypal and thank him for his efforts.

Also, I don't buy the "let's not have supporter logos because it will make those who can't contribute feel funny". Say thanks to your supporters and if that makes the others feel funny, so be it. Not a single soul who is into hanggliding and has the money for both that and internet access cannot afford some level of support.

Thanks Jack

JB
By Wingspan34
CHassan wrote:I just got a check from a Nigerian Prince. It is a cashiers check for just over 5 million. I need to cash it and return 3.5 million. If I send it to you will you cash it. You can keep .5 million and Western Union the remaining money to me. ( I think they only allow up to 5k per transaction so you'll have to make multiple transfers.)

I need to Western Union the Prince's portion back to him by the 15th of next month so he can expedite his family from harms way. His mother and father were just killed by the rebels and they are now looking for him and his family too! . . .

Wholly Molly! My scam is actually working! :mrgreen: 8)

(Note to self: Mark CHassan down as a true sucker.)

* (it's obvious we're both joking, right? :) )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Me3srOy7Ac

Waffle iron for GEEKS

it seems like I have to try it. wkwkwk also visit […]

"THERMAL CHASERS"

"THERMAL CHASERS" https://www.youtube.[…]

Please forward my Contact info to Glenn. CCMCK@G[…]