Discuss the news that appears on the front page of this website.

NOTE: New threads may only be created by the admin in this forum.

Moderators: sg, mods

Marina Wind Festival Steeple Chase Race
Date: May 9-10, 2009 Registration will be at Marina State Beach 8-10am.
Practice day May 8, 2009

Contestants will Start at Marina State Beach , Fly to a pre-determined Turn Point(TBD) and Return to Goal line at Marina State Beach .

Race Winners will be scored on Fastest Time for each day, limit of 3 scored flights each day.

HangGliding will have 2 Classes. FlexwingSport (FS) and Topless Flexwing(TF) .

FlexwingSport and Topless Flexwing will race for elapsed time from Launch to Indianhead Turn point and back to goal at Marina .

FlexwingSport will be any HangGlider with a Kingpost as manufactured.

Topless Flexwing will be any HangGlider manufactured without upper rigging for support as manufactured.

All HangGliding Pilots must have a current USHPA rating of H2 minumum with RS/WCL(RidgeSoaring /WindyCliffLaunc h) sign off.

HangGliding FlexwingSport( FS) Prize Distribution.

1st Place $400
2nd Place $200
3rd Place $100

HangGliding Topless Flexwing(TF) Prize Distribution

1st Place $500
2nd Place $300
3rd Place $150

All Entrants will have a Marina Wind Festival Steeple Chase Supporter Logo TBD.

No FlexwingSport( FS) or Topless Flexwing(TF) may be modified from Original Equipment Manufactures Design.

A Topless Rigid Wing(TRW) Class may be added as a separate Race.

All Protests of Disputes will be determined by Meet Director.

Entry for Flexwing Class is $35, Flexwing Topless Class is $55, Topless Rigid Wing(TBD).

All Entry Fees to be Received by the designated Marina Wind Festival Representative.

There will be a Saturday night BBQ for all entrants and Officials. Others, Donations will be accepted.

Contact Lee Gardner @ lgardner01@sbcgloba l.net for further information.
[html]
<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 5,0.009498" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>[/html]
Last edited by sg on Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Skyhighwoman
I guess I should try to get my steeple chase video back up. :ahh:
By Jason
HMMMMMMMMMM
By jjcote
So, what continent is Marina State Beach on? (What planet?) I'm guessing this is near Monterey, CA, USA.
By Skyhighwoman
Oh yeah I forget to post what continent I am in. :wink: USA Monterey Bay.

It is where I learned at. I rarely go now but I will be there with video in hand. I plan on volunteering again this year. Somebody has to do it.

Even though I took the steeple chase video down here are some photos of the day. I will do my best to redo the steeple chase video. Kenny doing what he does best was taken the day the before the actual race of the steeple chase.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/skyhighwom ... 8923/show/

Come on out play. I plan on camping the RV park where they do have a tent area. Hotels of plenty. In fact I think it was cheaper than the RV park BUT I know whats in my bed. :surrender:
By sg
I added a live google map to my original post
By Christofu
Does anyone have info on how to get an intro to the site? I hear that H2's can fly there... is this the case? I'm a long-time H2, with a couple more hours needed for my H3 (all H3 tasks completed). Thanks! Looking forward to watching the race!
By Skyhighwoman
[youtube]
[/youtube]

I re-did the Steeple chase video. 8)

I am not sure about the H2. I thought there was some sort of sign off. Contact Lee Garnder or one of the locals of Coastal condors

http://coastalcondors.org/

Carm
By tokyoDirk
Christofu wrote:Does anyone have info on how to get an intro to the site? I hear that H2's can fly there... is this the case? I'm a long-time H2, with a couple more hours needed for my H3 (all H3 tasks completed). Thanks! Looking forward to watching the race!
Hey Christofu,

I'm sure there will be plenty of pilots willing to give you an intro.
I'd contact some beforehand just to be sure. Who have you been training with?
By Christofu
Hi Dirk,

I've been training with Pat D @ Mission Soaring. It had been about a year since I flew, so went down to Hollister a couple of weekends ago to do some towing and shake some of the rust off.

Chris
By tokyoDirk
Christofu wrote:Hi Dirk,

I've been training with Pat D @ Mission Soaring. It had been about a year since I flew, so went down to Hollister a couple of weekends ago to do some towing and shake some of the rust off.
Nice!
Well theres a couple locals on the org that may be willing to show you around.
I've never actually flown at Marina - otherwise I would :)
By gtpowell
Hi Carm,

Can you answer a few questions for me,

Where do most pilots stay for the event (ie: campground or hotel)?

Can you make recommendations for each (tent camping and hotel)?

What is the weather usually like outside of flying?

If I don't acquire my RS/WCL sign-offs prior to arriving, can I get my sign-offs on Friday prior to the competition?

Thanks Carm,
By Skyhighwoman
Rex and I will be at the Marina RV camp. There is tent camping. To RV camp is more expensive than moteling it. It is nice with all amendities. It is a price to pay for our own creature comfort. I am not sure what it cost to pitch a tent.

There are a few motel on the same street as the RV park on Reservation Rd. Walking distace to Marina.

It would be fun to get a bunch of people staying close. Bring your bike it is nice to ride back and forth from the festival plus other trails along the coast line.

Hope to see you there.

Carm
By NMERider
Here's a copy of the 6 1/2 minute version of Carm's famous video. WMG had YouTube remove the great Deep Purple, Highway Child soundtrack........
[youtube]
[/youtube]
By sg
This vid has a nice wing shot of how close to the dune you soar at marina

[youtube]
[/youtube]
By bagbgone
Just flew for 3+ hours at Marina today. Conditions were near perfect. Marina is a great place to fly fast and become 1 with your wing. Can't wait for the steeplechase this year! :mosh:
By noman3
i want to race,do they have any cars to chase down there?.

[youtube]
[/youtube]
Last edited by noman3 on Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Redbeard
sounds like Jonny D will not be attending this year due to the comp in FL....maybe i should take his place...

i keed, i keed....
By skypimp
i want to race,do they have any cars to chase down there? :roflcat:

Well that was worth the wait! Mostly clear air m[…]

Clear L.A. Skies on Friday!

Well mate you just flew above those walls :lol: […]

involuntarylist

Ive had enough. More than enough agitating peopl[…]

I liked your re-edit JD, there is a timeless qua[…]